The Gophers men's basketball team announced Tuesday that it will play a home-and-home series with Utah, beginning with a game Monday, Nov. 12 at Williams Arena.
The return game in Salt Lake City will be played in 2019.
"This will be a tremendous early-season test for our team against a proven, talented Power Five opponent in Utah," coach Richard Pitino said.
• Orono sophomore-to-be Camille Kuznik of Burl Oaks Golf Club shot a 1-over 72 to edge Emma Welch of Brackett's Crossing Country Club for the Minnesota State Junior Girls' Championship at Monticello Country Club. Kuznik had a two-round total of 146, Welch was a shot back.
• Caleb VanArragon, who will be a senior at Blaine, won the Minnesota State Junior Boys' Championship at the Bridges Golf Club in Winona, Minn. His two-round total of 137 beat Jacob Pedersen of Shorewood by two shots.
• Zach Walters had a solo homer in the fifth inning and an RBI single in the third to lead the St. Paul Saints over the visiting Cleburne Railroaders 5-4. His homer put the Saints ahead 5-1. Before the game, the Saints signed free agent righthander Trevor Foss, who was playing with Somerset in the Atlantic League. The 28-year-old Foss was 2-5 with a 5.44 ERA in 10 starts with the Patriots this season.
• Terri Lindenbaum, a former volunteer assistant, was promoted to a full-time position with the Gophers rowing team while Jeff Forrester was hired as the team's novice coach.
• Zach Kughn was hired as Winona State men's and women's cross-country head coach and women's track and field assistant coach. He was a graduate assistant coach at Dakota Wesleyan University for the cross country and track teams.