Junior soccer forward April Bockin of the Gophers was named the Big Ten offensive player of the week after she had one goal and five assists in two games.
Bockin's four assists in Minnesota's 7-1 victory over Michigan State on Sunday tied a Big Ten record held by former Gopher Simone Kolander (against Stetson in 2014) and Penn State's Ali Krieger (against Bucknell in 2003).
She also had one goal against the Spartans and one assist in a 2-2 overtime tie with Michigan on Thursday.
"[April] has been dynamic and impactful for us all season," Gophers coach Stefanie Golan said.
Bockin, of Eden Prairie, is second in the Big Ten in assists this season with seven, just one behind the Big Ten leader.
• Haley Spencer and David Plummer will be inducted into the Gophers' Aquatic Hall of Fame at 6:30 p.m. Friday in conjunction with the alumni meet at Freeman Aquatic Center. Plummer competed for Minnesota from 2005-08 and was a 14-time All-America swimmer. Spencer (2009-13) was the 2011 NCAA champion in the 200-yard breaststroke and NCAA runner-up in that event in 2012 and 2013.
• Seven Gophers women's hockey players were named American Hockey Coaches Association Scholars (GPA of 3.6 or higher) for the 2016-17 season. The list: Sydney Baldwin, Dani Cameranesi, Nicole Schammel, Kate Schipper, Lee Stecklein, Taylor Williamson and Alex Woken. Cameranesi, Schipper and Stecklein were seniors last season.
• Minnesota State Mankato was ranked first in two WCHA preseason polls. The Mavericks received nine of 10 first-place votes in the coaches' poll, and 12 of 14 votes for the top spot in the media poll. Bemidji State was picked to finish second in both polls.
• Northwestern (St. Paul) is No. 8 in the American Volleyball Coaches Association's Division III poll this week; Gustavus is No 11 and St. Thomas No. 17.
• John Anderson and Bill Tadewald shot a 5-under 67 for a one-shot lead over five other pairs after the first round of the MGA Senior Four-Ball Championship at Burl Oaks Golf Club in Minnetrista.