Minnesota United FC announced the signing Monday of winger Danny Cruz, who played six years in Major League Soccer and a year on loan in Finland. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Cruz, 26, a native of Virginia, was drafted 31st overall out of UNLV by Houston in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. Cruz made 54 appearances for the Dynamo and scored four goals. He was traded to DC United before the 2012 season and played half a season there before being traded to Philadelphia.
In 2015, Cruz played for FK Bodø/Glimt in Finland on loan.
The Loons roster is now at 18.
UND stays No. 2
North Dakota remains No. 2 in this week’s USCHO.com national hockey poll behind Quinnipiac. The Bobcats received 37 first-place votes, UND 12.
St. Cloud State dropped one spot to No. 4; Minnesota State Mankato climbed one spot to No 17.
Ranked Big Ten teams are Michigan at No. 6 and Penn State at No. 16. The Gophers are receiving votes.
• Minnesota Hockey and the CCM Minnesota Hockey High Performance programs have finalized a framework for Tier 1 hockey at the 15 and 14 and under classifications for boys and girls. Teams will begin the tryouts this summer and play games on weekends in August and through late September. Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota was established last year and included teams at the Youth 16U and 18U and Girls 16U and 19U classifications.
• St. Cloud State is No. 2 in the latest NCAA Division II wrestling poll and has three individuals ranked No. 1: Tim Prescott at 125, Clint Poster at 165 and Austin Goergen at heavyweight.
• Senior outside hitter Daly Santana was named the Gophers’ MVP in volleyball at the team banquet last weekend. Among other award winners were Sarah Wilhite for most improved and Molly Lohman for best blocker.
• The Gophers women’s soccer team also held its banquet. Two MVP awards were presented there, to Josee Stiever for offense and Rashida Beal for defense. Maddie Gaffney was named the most improved player.
• The Gophers women’s golf team cut eight strokes off its team score in the second round of the Central Florida Challenge with a 299 score and is in 13th place going into Tuesday’s final round. Junior Emie Peronnin is tied for sixth after rounds of 72-73 for a 145 total.
• The time has been set for the Gophers men’s basketball game at Illinois on Feb. 28. It will be played at 7 p.m. and televised by the Big Ten Network.