Vanska and the orchestra at the composer's institute earlier this month. Photo/Leila Navidi
The orchestra, with music director Osmo Vanska, will play the first and third Sibelius symphonies in a concert on March 3, 2016. In addition, Hilary Hahn will perform Sibelius’s violin concerto with the orchestra.
Minnesota had been on the schedule for two dates in November, 2013, to play the Sibelius symphony cycle that they had been recording. The date was canceled because of the labor dispute and Vanska resigned in October, 2013, in protest over the cancellation and the continuing lockout. He returned to his position last April.
The orchestra announced earlier this month that it would return to the recording project in June. Conversations between Minnesota and Carnegie started last summer, said President and CEO Kevin Smith.
“The season had already been booked but they were able to find a date and we made it work,” Smith said. “It shows a strong interest on their part to re-engage with the Minnesota Orchestra and for us it’s a real milestone that we’ve established we’re back.”