Twins executive Jerry Bell just announced several "enhancements" the organization is making to Target Field for the 2011 season. Twins officials estimated the team will spend between $4-6 million on the upgrades. We listened in on the press conference via live stream, and the Twins also just put out a press release with the highlights. Here are what we consider the key takeaways from the press release and from what Bell said:
Additional Scoreboard/Twins Tower
* New 28' high by 50' wide video display board located above the right field Grandstand.
"We want to ensure all fans have quality views of replays and scoreboards," Bell said.
* The Twins, in partnership with our exclusive partner DNC Sportservice, are working to add more Minnesota signature items across the ballpark.
* In addition, various enhancements and alterations are planned for some concession stands and food service spaces aimed at expanding menu options while improving customer service.
"Maybe Tinucci's," Bell said, drawing laughs for his reference to the local caterers upbraided by Randy Moss.
Enhanced Technology -- WiFi /Cell Phone Coverage
* The Twins will provide fans at Target Field with free WiFi Internet Service through its "TwiFi" network resulting in enhanced capacity and speed on portable or hand-held devices.
* The team hopes to soon make an announcement regarding an additional legend player bronze statue to be unveiled during the 2011 season.
Twins executive Dave St. Peter said "fan suggestions played a huge part" in the enhancements. The new scoreboard seems like a great idea -- especially if you've ever sat down the left field line, with a limited view of any replay. The wi-fi will be convenient, though we have to imagine it will only add to the distracted nature of plenty of the fans. We're certainly all for more local food options (a highlight already in 2010) and as long as the new statue is better than the Kirby Puckett statue, we can't take issue with it.
Your thoughts on the upgrades and which Twins player might be up next for a statue in the comments, please.