Five things to watch for this week
• The Twins haven't played a home playoff game since Game 2 of the 2010 American League Division Series in the first season at Target Field. They haven't WON a home playoff game since Game 1 of the 2002 American League Championship Series at the Metrodome. At least one of those streaks will end Monday in Game 3 against the Yankees. They need the 10-game home postseason losing streak to end, too, if the series is to continue.
• October is all about the convergence of sports seasons, so why not have the Timberwolves enter the fray as well? Sure, it's just the preseason, but the new-look Wolves have their first game Tuesday at Phoenix.
• The Gophers football team can become bowl-eligible on Saturday with a win over Nebraska. That's hardly the only goal this year after a 5-0 start, but reaching that milestone so early in the year would be another indication that P.J. Fleck has this thing going in the right direction.
• Six of the Wild's first seven games this season are on the road, including a pair of away losses to start the year. The home opener Saturday against the Penguins is your only chance to see Minnesota between now and Oct. 20. It's anyone's guess what the line combinations will be.
• It's too early to call something a must-win game, but the Vikings' home game Sunday against the Eagles feels like one of those true tossups that will have playoff implications by the end of the season. Both enter the game 3-2 after uneven starts to the season. The winner will feel like it has a ton of momentum, while the loser will be regrouping again.