Metro football Top 10
Week 1 is in the books, and what did we learn? For one, Totino-Grace is as good as advertised and Woodbury, perhaps, is not. Second, season openers often are uneven and serve to work out kinks, as Lakeville North, Maple Grove, Edina and Burnsville discovered. All struggled early but found ways to come back and win.
Here’s a look at the Metro Top 10, Week 2:
1. Totino-Grace (1-0): I admit I was wrong in ranking Eden Prairie higher than Totino-Grace in the preseason. Rallying to beat Eden Prairie 17-14 on the road? Few things in Minnesota prep football are tougher than that.
2. Lakeville North (1-0): Trailing 17-0 at halftime, the Panthers took coach Brian Vossen’s motivational message to heart and looked more like the gritty, hard-nosed bunch we’ve come to expect, pulling out a 24-23 victory over East Ridge.
3. Edina (1-0): After spending three quarters sparring with underrated Andover, the Hornets went to the ground game in the fourth quarter to pull away for a 23-14 victory.
4. Maple Grove (1-0): For 15 minutes, the Crimson’s biggest foe was itself; it committed four turnovers. But a quick, sure-tackling defense kept Maple Grove close until the offense came alive in a 23-13 victory over rival Osseo.
5. Rosemount (1-0): RB Connor Kleiber rushed for 94 yards and two touchdowns as the Irish downed host White Bear Lake 31-14.
6. Centennial (1-0): The ultra-talented Cougars announced their arrival in big way, going on the road to defeat Prior Lake 34-17.
7. Eden Prairie (0-1): The Eagles have lost two games in a row for the first time since 2012. But they won a state championship that year.
8. Woodbury (0-1): So much love for Woodbury in the offseason hid the fact that the Royals, albeit talented, are depth-challenged.
9. Cretin-Derham Hall (1-0): The Raiders made coach Brooks Bollinger’s debut a success on a Hail Mary 49-yard TD pass that beat Lakeville South 19-14.
10. East Ridge (0-1): Big early leads were far from safe in Week 1. The Raptors blew a 17-point halftime advantage and fell to Lakeville North 24-23 in overtime.
Others worth watching: Stillwater, Blaine, Hopkins, Minnetonka, Burnsville, St. Michael-Albertville (5A).