Minneapolis Millers fans were understandably disappointed to see their hot-hitting center fielder called up to the big leagues after less than a month. But who could blame the New York Giants? Willie Mays, just 19, had hit .607 in his first 14 games at Nicollet Park, and his fielding was equally spectacular. So off he went, making his Giants debut on May 25, 1951. Giants owner Horace Stoneham must have felt some heat from fans of his AAA farm club. He placed this ad in the Minneapolis Sunday Tribune a few days later, explaining to all of Minneapolis that the kid deserved a shot.
[A hearty AAA cap-tip to YN reader Michael Haas for this entry.]
More from Star Tribune
More From Yesterday's News
Art Instruction Inc., once located just around the corner from the old Star and Tribune building on the edge of downtown Minneapolis, offered drawing courses by mail for more than a century. Here the Minneapolis Tribune profiles the commercial art school that trained the likes of Charles M. Schulz ("Peanuts") and Carlos de la Vega (who?).
When we sleepily stumbled down the hall to answer the clamorously ringing telephone we made a mental note that it was shortly before 3 a.m. We picked up the receiver, thinking it was Sheriff Roberts calling to say that there had been an accident. Instead it was Mrs. Lloyd Long, playing the feminine counterpart role of Paul Revere, saying "Get up, Al, and listen to the radio, the invasion has started."
Angered because of excessive whispering during a "spelling bee," H.E. Sherman, teacher in the Somers village school was about to administer corporal punishment to a number of his pupils when he was forestalled by an energetic colony of honey bees.
Most of our readers in whose memory is still fresh the fact of the destruction by fire of the Merchants' Hotel, on the corner of State and Washington streets, on the morning of the 4th of the present month, will readily recall the particulars concerning the sad fate of the late Mr. R.A. Cook, of Joliet, who perished in the flames during that memorable conflagration.
Twenty irate office women appeared before the St. Paul city council today and demanded action. They said their nylons have been damaged by soot in the city's loop. William Parranto, commissioner of public safety, explained that such soot falls from the chimney at Saint Paul hotel. The hotel, he said, burns a Wyoming oil which contains a liberal percentage of sulphur.