Three observations …
• People not old enough to remember the late Todd Christensen need to Google the former Raider if they think tight ends as major receiving threats is a new thing. Christensen died this week of complications from a liver transplant surgery. He had 92 catches in 1982 and 95 in 1986, both records for tight ends at the time.
• Remember when Panthers coach Ron Rivera came to the Metrodome on the hot seat back on Oct. 13? Well, he’s 5-0 since then. And his new nickname — “Riverboat Ron” — is sticking. It started when he went for it on fourth-and-1 twice on the opening drive of that 35-10 victory over the Vikings.
• Although Peyton Manning has to be the early front-runner to win yet another league MVP, he’s got a lot of competition heading down the stretch. Drew Brees, Russell Wilson and Jamaal Charles are contenders.
Two predictions …
• Speaking of Peyton, he’s not too beat up to take down the 9-0 Chiefs.
• The Jets have alternated wins and losses for nine games in a row, but will win at Buffalo for their first two-game winning streak.