I don’t think that a compliance rate of 94.8 percent for wearing seat belts is something worth celebrating (“Minnesota seat-belt use sets record …” Oct. 16). What’s happening to the other 5.2 percent? According to the National Safety Council, 42 percent of passenger vehicle occupants who were killed did not wear seat belts. Are statistics not even enough to convince people to set aside just a few seconds of their lives to better secure their well-being? It’s clear that some just don’t care about their personal safety. Either that, or it’s ignorance.

Adrianna Tan, Eden Prairie