Korean team makes ex-Twins pitcher's signing official
January 29, 2014 — 8:56am
Former Twins pitcher Andrew Albers has signed a contract and will pitch in South Korea's top baseball league in 2014. The Korean Baseball Organization said Albers has signed a deal with the Hanwha Eagles that will pay $800,000, including a signing bonus.
Albers, 28, had several strong starts for the Twins last season but faded a bit -- finishing with a 2-5 record and 4.05 ERA in 10 starts. He was seen as a long shot to make the Twins staff this season.
According to the Global Post, Albers is the first non-Korean player to sign with the KBO since the league abolished a $300,000 salary cap for foreign players earlier this month.
You'll remember that Albers is kind of a big deal in Canada, being the first player from Saskatchewan to make it to the majors in 21 years when he was promoted last summer. Here's a story about him from the CBC, which uses the phrase "baseball star" a bit loosely, don't you think?
StribSports UPLOAD is where you’ll see what other people are saying about Minnesota sports. It could be a report from another city’s media following a game. It could be a blog or video from somewhere in Minnesota. It could be serious or funny, on point or off the wall. It could be something you tell us about. Send stuff to UPLOAD here. All correspondence to UPLOAD is on the record unless requested otherwise.
Thousands of prospective voters in Kansas who did not provide citizenship documents will be able to vote in the November election under a federal appeals court ruling late Friday that upheld a judge's order.
Plunging deeper into campaign controversy, Donald Trump publicly shamed a former beauty queen on Friday for her "disgusting" sexual past and then — in one of presidential history's more bizarre moments — encouraged Americans to watch a "sex tape" he said would support his case.
Indications are the Twins intended to call up Pat Light, who was acquired from Boston for Fernando Abad, for Thursday's doubleheader. But Light's flight from Syracuse was canceled and he would not have arrived in time.
MLB's competition committee last month recommended eliminating the bottom 2-3 inches of the strike zone, sources told ESPN.com, raising the lower boundary from "the hollow beneath the kneecap," as the official rules currently state, to "the top of the hitter's knees."