If you had to name the Gophers chances against No. 5 Duke today in the quarterfinals of the Battle 4 Atlantis what would they be?
Ken Pomeroy says the game – in which Minnesota might seem like a pretty substantial underdog – is basically a wash.
In this post, Pomeroy gives Duke just a 50.8 percent chance of beating Minnesota, while he gives the Gophers conversely a 49.2 percent chance of winning. It’s by far the closest matchup of any of the opening day games, according to his predictions.
Pomeroy goes on to suggest that Minnesota has the third best shot at winning the whole thing, behind Louisville and Duke.
Very, very interesting …
How does that line up with what you guys think?
This is Amelia Rayno's third season on the Gophers men's basketball beat. She learned college basketball in North Carolina (Go Tar Heels!), where fanhood is not an option. In 2010, she joined the Star Tribune after graduating from Boston's Emerson College, which sadly had no exciting D-I college hoops to latch onto. Amelia has also worked on the sports desk at the Boston Globe and interned at the Detroit News.