Joey Anderson, who helped Minnesota Duluth to the NCAA title earlier this month and was captain of the U.S. junior national team, signed with the New Jersey Devils on Sunday, passing up his final two seasons of college eligibility.
Anderson, a Roseville native and former Hill-Murray player, signed a three-year entry-level contract and will burn the first season now. He joins the Devils in New Jersey, where they trail Tampa Bay 2-0 in a first-round playoff series. He was taken by the Devils in the third round (73rd overall) in the 2016 draft.
The 19-year-old winger had 23 goals in two seasons for UMD, which played in the NCAA title game both seasons. The Bulldogs lost in the 2017 title game to Denver, which was led by Devils rookie defenseman Will Butcher.
Anderson played in the past two World Junior Tournaments. He was captain of the bronze medal team in January, and won a gold with the 2017 team.
Before UMD, he played two seasons with the U.S. development program after two seasons at Hill Murray. His brother, Mikey Anderson, was a freshman defenseman at UMD last season, and was also on the U.S. junior national team.
• The Macalester women's water polo club earned its second consecutive CWPA Division III championship with a 13-12, overtime victory over Connecticut College on Sunday in Erie, Pa. Oriana Galasso scored five goals to lead the Scot (14-4).
• The Northwestern women's tennis team, ranked No. 12, remained unbeaten in the Big Ten with a 6-1 victory over the Gophers on Sunday in Evanston, Ill. Sophomore Cammy Frei took a 6-4, 6-4 victory at No. 6 singles for the Gophers' lone point.
• The series finale between the Gophers baseball team and host Purdue was canceled Sunday because of field conditions in West Lafayette, Ind.
• The Gophers women's golf team was rained out Sunday when the final round of the Lady Buckeye Spring Invitational was canceled at Columbus, Ohio.
• The Gophers rowing team finished 10th at the Clemson Invitational on Saturday. Ohio State, ranked No. 4, won the event with 130 points. The Gophers had 71 points.