Jerry Zgoda’s top-five mock draft
A look at how the first five picks might shake out come June 23:
1. Philadelphia Ben Simmons, PF, LSU
• It’s a two-man race for No. 1, and he might not be best fit for the Sixers. Even if he makes it clear he wants to play in L.A., he’s the best player and just maybe the best passing big man since Magic Johnson.
2. L.A. Lakers Brandon Ingram, SF, Duke
• Easiest spot in the draft: If Sixers take Simmons, Lakers take Ingram, or vice versa.
3. Boston Jamal Murray, SG, Kentucky
• Celtics already have guards, but still need shooters and this guy is big, young and shoots it, too.
4. Phoenix Dragan Bender, PF, Maccabi Tel Aviv
• He comes with more questions than Kristaps Porzingis did a year ago, but Suns need a “stretch” power forward and this guy intrigues.
5. Timberwolves Kris Dunn, PG, Providence
• The proverbial “best player” still available even over Oklahoma star Buddy Hield and a potential lock-down defender, but you can bet Wolves explore all options to trade the pick to add a veteran(s).
Remainder of the lottery draft positions
6. New Orleans
9. Toronto (via N.Y.)
13. Phoenix (via Wash.)