As if having a large cast of Minnesota favorites such as the Jayhawks, Suburbs, PaviElle, Caroline Smith, Charlie Parr, Chastity Brown, Mason Jennings, Kitten Forever and Heiruspecs all featured on one compilation wasn’t unique enough, beloved Minneapolis community radio station KFAI has bundled them all onto one cassette. Yes, as in the kind of cassette tape decks used in an old Chevette or a Panasonic boombox.
Starting today, KFAI (90.3 FM, kfai.org) is selling the “Live From Minnesota Mixtape,” an 18-track collection of live tracks that have been broadcast by the truly eclectic and communal station over the years. It’s being sold for $5 in local record stores as both a fundraiser and a reminder of the nonprofit station’s strong support for Minnesota music. Most of the recordings originally aired on the station’s arts-centric show “MinneCulture,” which airs Wednesdays at 7 p.m. and is also available in podcast form.
Among the shops stocking the “Mixtape” is the Electric Fetus in Minneapolis, which is hosting a free in-store set by hard-grooving, roof-raising R&B/soul/funk great PaviElle tonight (Thursday) at 7 p.m. to promote the collection.
There will also be a release party and fundraiser concert next Saturday, Dec. 15, at the Turf Club (8 p.m., $10 suggested donation) featuring Pornonono, Jayanthi Kyle (ex-Gospel Machine), See More Perspective and some “special guests,” all of whom are also featured on the cassette.
Here’s the compilation’s full tracklist below, and you can also sample the tracks by the Jayhawks (“Somewhere in Ohio,” from the Turf Club in 2014), Gospel Machine with members of the Brass Messengers (“The Ring,” from Icehouse in 2015) and Somalia-born, Kenya-raised, Minneapolis-based singer Dalmar Yare with the Bob Band, featuring Augsburg College faculty and alumni (“Dihal,” from the Cedar Cultural center in 2016).
"Live from Minnesota Mixtape" tracklist:
- 1. Barbara Jean: “Wishing Well” at Icehouse in Minneapolis
- 2. Bad Bad Hats: “Girl” at the Masonic Temple in Winona
- 3. See More Perspective: “For My People” at Patrick's Cabaret in Minneapolis
- 4. Gospel Machine: “That Ring” at Icehouse in Minneapolis
- 5. Pornonono: “Don't Tell Anyone” at Icehouse in Minneapolis
- 6. Mason Jennings: “Two Dollar Man” at Sacred Heart Music Center in Duluth
- 7. Kitten Forever: “Temple” at Triple Rock Social Club in Minneapolis
- 8. Heiruspecs: “Merry Go Round” at Icehouse in Minneapolis
- 9. Caroline Smith: “Magazine” at the Masonic Temple in Winona
- 10. The Jayhawks: “Somewhere in Ohio” at the Turf Club in St. Paul
- 11. Liminal Phase: “Loose Change” at Cafe Maude in Minneapolis
- 12. Chastity Brown: “From My Old” at the Cedar Cultural Center in Minneapolis
- 13. Davina & the Vagabonds: “Pocket” at Patrick's Cabaret in Minneapolis
- 14. The Honeydogs: “Broke It, Buy It” at the Aster Cafe in Minneapolis
- 15. PaviElle: “Sometimes You Wanna Be” at the Sheldon Theatre in Red Wing
- 16. Dalmar Yare & Bob's Band: “Dihal” at the Cedar Cultural Center in Minneapolis
- 17. Charlie Parr: “Falcon” at the Paramount Theatre in Austin
- 18. The Suburbs: “Turn the Radio On” at First Avenue in Minneapolis