A pair of major highway closures could stymie motorists hoping to head to downtown Minneapolis this weekend.
Portions of Interstate 94 and I-35W downtown will be closed from Friday night through early Monday morning in conjunction with reconstruction of the Park and Portland Avenue bridges.
The closures could complicate fans’ efforts to get to Target Field for this weekend’s Twins-Baltimore Orioles games Saturday and Sunday and other downtown events.
Meanwhile, projects elsewhere in the metro area and work on I-94 from Clearwater to St. Cloud could make for a slow drive for those heading out for the weekend fishing opener.
In downtown Minneapolis, here is what will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday:
• Southbound I-35W will be closed from Hiawatha Avenue (Hwy. 55) to the I-94/35W split.
• Northbound I-35W will be closed from the downtown exits over to Hwy. 280.
• Eastbound I-94 will be closed from the I-35W/94 split to Hiawatha Avenue (Hwy. 55).
• Westbound I-94 will be closed from Hwy. 280 over to the downtown Minneapolis exits.
During the freeway closures, MnDOT crews will be inspecting and repairing expansion joints, sealing cracks in the pavement, repairing signs, repainting lane markings, inspecting and repairing electrical systems, clearing and repairing drainage structures, fixing guard rails, sweeping roadways and picking up debris.
In addition to the freeway closures, the Park and Portland Avenue bridges remain closed as MnDOT rebuilds the bridges. They will be closed until August.
Other projects to keep in mind when getting around this weekend include:
• I-35E in Burnsville is closed from County Road 42 to the I-35E/W split for bridge work.
• Work continues on I-694 in both directions between I-35W and Hwy. 10 in Arden Hills.
• I-94 in both directions is reduced to a single lane in both directions from Hwy. 24 in Clearwater to County Road 75 in St. Cloud.