Authorities are urging donations of cash, not goods. Donations to the Minnesota Helps-North Minneapolis Recovery Fund may be made through credit card at Checks may be sent to the Minneapolis Foundation, 80 S. 8th St., Suite 800, Minneapolis, MN 55402. Donations also can be made at

For information on Facebook about volunteer opportunities, go to On radio, KMOJ 89.9 FM provides updates on how to help.


Property owners may take trees and branches to their boulevard for collection starting Wednesday through June 10 in the area west of Interstate 94 and north of Olson Hwy. People with storm damage outside this area can call 311 for help. Alley pickup for large backyard debris may be requested from 311.

To find out whether a tree contractor is licensed in Minneapolis, call 311 or check the city website at


Document with photos, videos and notes the extent of the damage and your losses, according to the Insurance Federation of Minnesota. Contact your insurance agent or insurers' claims hotline as soon as possible. Keep expense receipts for storm cleanup, temporary repair or emergency housing expenses. Many are covered under a standard homeowners' policy. For more help, call the Minnesota Department of Commerce's consumer response team at 651-296-2488. The agency also investigates complaints of misconduct by insurers and agents.