A powdered nutritional supplement found at health food stores has been linked to a salmonella outbreak that’s sickened at least two Minnesotans, the state Department of Health announced Friday.
Both Minnesotans — one child and one adult — became ill after eating Garden of Life Organic Shake & Meal Replacement after Jan. 11. Neither was hospitalized and both have since recovered.
Several matching cases of the salmonella Virchow strain have been reported by residents who ate the supplement in states including Wisconsin, Tennessee, Oregon, New Jersey, New Mexico and Utah, officials said.
State health and agriculture experts said the investigation is ongoing, and the extent of the product contamination is unknown. The company has issued a recall and will provide a full refund to customers who return the product.
People with confirmed cases have reported eating both the chocolate and vanilla flavors of the supplement, so investigators recommend not eating any flavor purchased on or after Nov. 1, 2015. Any product with a “Best Used by: 09/2017” date or later stamped on the bottom of the container should also not be consumed.
Symptoms of salmonellosis include diarrhea, abdominal pain, cramps and fever. Those affected usually develop symptoms within 12 to 72 hours of exposure, but they can begin up to a week after contamination, health officials say.
The foodborne illness is especially dangerous to the elderly and those with a weakened immune system.
Last year, Chipotle was forced to close at least 17 restaurants after a salmonella outbreak linked to its tomatoes sickened dozens of people in Minnesota beginning in August.
Imported cucumbers also sickened about a dozen Minnesotans in September.