Gov. Mark Dayton will have hip surgery next week at Mayo Clinic to repair hip tendons that detached when he took a tumble on the stairs at the governor’s residence last summer.
"I want to assure Minnesotans that there is nothing about this procedure that will affect my capacity to fulfill my duties as governor or outweigh my passion for serving the people of Minnesota,” Dayton said. “I look forward to a full recovery and aggressively seeking reelection this fall."
The procedure will take about an hour Thursday; Dayton will be under general anesthesia. He will spend a couple days recuperating in the hospital, said Dayton spokesman Bob Hume. He will need to wear a brace for up to three months to stabilize the hip.
Dayton had a procedure at Mayo last summer to try to repair the hip, but he said tests show that the tendons have detached from the bone and the muscle shows early signs of atrophy. Doctors told the governor that surgery is the most effective option to help with pain and restore mobility.
Dayton will undergo the procedure as he is preparing what is likely to be a tough battle for re-election. The 67-year-old governor has walked with a slight limp since he fell at the residence. He has said he is not in significant pain.
Last week, Dayton told reporters the hip was still giving him trouble, but would not slow his re-election campaign.
“I won’t be able to run interference for (Minnesota Viking) Adrian Peterson next fall, but in terms of what my job description is, I don’t see any impediment,” he said.
Staff writer Rachel E. Stassen-Berger contributed to this report.
Amid reports that Donald Trump was in danger of not getting on Minnesota's presidential ballot, the Trump campaign says everything is in order and voters will have a chance to cast their ballot for him in November.
Interest groups spent less slightly money lobbying state government in 2015 than in the previous year, according to a report released Wednesday by the Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board.
Hillary Clinton vigorously defended her family's foundation against Donald Trump's sniping on Friday and declared she's confident there will be no new blockbuster accusations on the foundation, her emails or anything else that could undermine her chances of defeating him in November.