Today’s game will be key for a team once again without big men Trevor Mbakwe and Ralph Sampson (expected to sit with continued ankle troubles). After a momentous win against Virginia Tech, the Gophers face another big-name program in USC and will need to play even better than they did in Wednesday’s outing to expect to come away on top.
Some notes on USC:
- The Trojans are coming off a big lift of their own after crushing UC Riverside without their 7-foot big man and NBA prospect Dewayne Dedmon, who is out 4-6 weeks with a foot injury.
- The 4-4 Trojans haven’t exactly been dominant all season, but are starting to look better after their third loss, when they scored just 36 points against Cal Poly in the Las Vegas invitational.
- Since then, USC is 3-1 and have showed more balance on offense.
- Junior guard Aaron Fuller leads the team with 13.3 points and 6.6 assists.
- Sophomore point guard Maurice Jones – sure to be a challenging matchup for Gophers freshman Andre Hollins -- is averaging 14.8 points a game.
More from Star Tribune
More from Gold in the Barn
Former Gophers guard Jamal Abu-Shamala started an alumni group with others this summer to help support U basketball players past and present
Gophers coach Marlene Stollings received a commitment Thursday from Michigan guard Deja Church
Point guard Jalen Suggs became the first in-state freshman guard to receive a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota since Tyus Jones in 2011.
The Patrick School senior guard Jamir Harris became the second member of the Gophers 2017 recruiting class on Wednesday
Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino and assistant Kimani Young were in New Jersey on Tuesday to see the Patrick School's Jamir Harris
Recommended For You
Hillary Clinton has wrestled with allegations surrounding her husband’s infidelities for much of their 40-year marriage, including a sexual harassment lawsuit, a grand jury investigation…
The Libertarian presidential candidate has another "Aleppo moment" when he's asked to name a foreign leader he admires. His running mate comes to his rescue.
The earmarking attempt by the 2016 Legislature should be dropped in 2017.
This election season, know where your elected officials stand on strengthening our laws.
Papers that haven't backed a Democrat in generations are turning against Trump. Good on them.