Today’s game will be key for a team once again without big men Trevor Mbakwe and Ralph Sampson (expected to sit with continued ankle troubles). After a momentous win against Virginia Tech, the Gophers face another big-name program in USC and will need to play even better than they did in Wednesday’s outing to expect to come away on top.
Some notes on USC:
- The Trojans are coming off a big lift of their own after crushing UC Riverside without their 7-foot big man and NBA prospect Dewayne Dedmon, who is out 4-6 weeks with a foot injury.
- The 4-4 Trojans haven’t exactly been dominant all season, but are starting to look better after their third loss, when they scored just 36 points against Cal Poly in the Las Vegas invitational.
- Since then, USC is 3-1 and have showed more balance on offense.
- Junior guard Aaron Fuller leads the team with 13.3 points and 6.6 assists.
- Sophomore point guard Maurice Jones – sure to be a challenging matchup for Gophers freshman Andre Hollins -- is averaging 14.8 points a game.
More from Star Tribune
More From Gold in the Barn
Gophers shut down Georgia Southern's high-scoring backcourt trio to just 17 points, 30 below their average this season
Gophers match up Friday against Georgia Southern's high-scoring sophomore backcourt tandem of Ike Smith and Tookie Brown
The Gophers men's basketball team made ESPN's early NCAA tournament projections for the first time Thursday
Gophers senior guard Akeem Springs had a season-best 19 points Tuesday, but he was frustrated with the team's overall effort
Gophers basketball team will go for its eighth win this season Tuesday vs. NJIT's Damon Lynn, the active leader in Division I career scoring