Today’s game will be key for a team once again without big men Trevor Mbakwe and Ralph Sampson (expected to sit with continued ankle troubles). After a momentous win against Virginia Tech, the Gophers face another big-name program in USC and will need to play even better than they did in Wednesday’s outing to expect to come away on top.
Some notes on USC:
- The Trojans are coming off a big lift of their own after crushing UC Riverside without their 7-foot big man and NBA prospect Dewayne Dedmon, who is out 4-6 weeks with a foot injury.
- The 4-4 Trojans haven’t exactly been dominant all season, but are starting to look better after their third loss, when they scored just 36 points against Cal Poly in the Las Vegas invitational.
- Since then, USC is 3-1 and have showed more balance on offense.
- Junior guard Aaron Fuller leads the team with 13.3 points and 6.6 assists.
- Sophomore point guard Maurice Jones – sure to be a challenging matchup for Gophers freshman Andre Hollins -- is averaging 14.8 points a game.
More from Star Tribune
More from Gold in the Barn
Earlier this month, the Gophers announced that walk-on Darin Haugh had been given a scholarship, a move that came to the surprise of some.
Even as the signing period for 2017 recruits approaches in November, much of Gophers coach Richard Pitino's remaining summer will be about 2018 recruits
The Gophers will have just two scholarships available right now to give recruits for the 2017-18 class, and we have nine names for you to follow.
The 2017 big man will choose between the Gophers, Cal, Marquette, Oklahoma, Illinois and Purdue.
As if NCAA tournaments in recent years haven't shown enough advantage for No. 1 teams, life just got a little sweeter for teams at the top.