Today’s game will be key for a team once again without big men Trevor Mbakwe and Ralph Sampson (expected to sit with continued ankle troubles). After a momentous win against Virginia Tech, the Gophers face another big-name program in USC and will need to play even better than they did in Wednesday’s outing to expect to come away on top.
Some notes on USC:
- The Trojans are coming off a big lift of their own after crushing UC Riverside without their 7-foot big man and NBA prospect Dewayne Dedmon, who is out 4-6 weeks with a foot injury.
- The 4-4 Trojans haven’t exactly been dominant all season, but are starting to look better after their third loss, when they scored just 36 points against Cal Poly in the Las Vegas invitational.
- Since then, USC is 3-1 and have showed more balance on offense.
- Junior guard Aaron Fuller leads the team with 13.3 points and 6.6 assists.
- Sophomore point guard Maurice Jones – sure to be a challenging matchup for Gophers freshman Andre Hollins -- is averaging 14.8 points a game.
More from Star Tribune
More From Gold in the Barn
Former Dayton recruit and Champlin Park senior point guard McKinley Wright announced his commitment to Colorado on Friday.
Four-star forward Jake Forrester from Harrisburg, Pa. says he received a scholarship offer from the Gophers on Monday
Apple Valley 2018 standout Tre Jones talked Gophers facilities and recruiting during his big opening AAU weekend with Howard Pulley at Nike EYBL in Hampton, Va.
Gophers commit Daniel Oturu starts Nike EYBL season Friday in Hampton, Va.; Richard Pitino and staff begin the open recruiting period.
Future Gophers teammates Isaiah Washington and Jamir Harris played one another Friday in the Jordan Classic regional game in Washington D.C.