Today’s game will be key for a team once again without big men Trevor Mbakwe and Ralph Sampson (expected to sit with continued ankle troubles). After a momentous win against Virginia Tech, the Gophers face another big-name program in USC and will need to play even better than they did in Wednesday’s outing to expect to come away on top.
Some notes on USC:
- The Trojans are coming off a big lift of their own after crushing UC Riverside without their 7-foot big man and NBA prospect Dewayne Dedmon, who is out 4-6 weeks with a foot injury.
- The 4-4 Trojans haven’t exactly been dominant all season, but are starting to look better after their third loss, when they scored just 36 points against Cal Poly in the Las Vegas invitational.
- Since then, USC is 3-1 and have showed more balance on offense.
- Junior guard Aaron Fuller leads the team with 13.3 points and 6.6 assists.
- Sophomore point guard Maurice Jones – sure to be a challenging matchup for Gophers freshman Andre Hollins -- is averaging 14.8 points a game.
More from Star Tribune
More From Gold in the Barn
Gophers coach Richard Pitino and junior guard Nate Mason receive All-District 7 honors Wednesday by the National Association of Basketball Coaches
The honor puts the four-star recruit among a group of players that includes New York City point guard legends Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair.
The Gophers men's basketball team needs to find ways to get Nate Mason and Reggie Lynch going in Thursday's NCAA tournament game vs. Middle Tennessee in Milwaukee
Middle Tennessee big men compare Minnesota's Reggie Lynch to an SEC center they dominated earlier this year; Lynch takes offense
Winthrop guards Anders and Bjorn Broman will have 30 family members from Duluth, Minn. watching Thursday's game vs. Butler in Milwaukee