I'm writing a story on Gophers defensive back Derrick Wells for our Sunday editions. In the meantime, here's some quick notes from Spring Practice #6:
- Jonah Pirsig, a redshirt freshman tackle from Blue Earth, went down with an apparent knee injury and had to be carted off the field after being helped to the sideline. The extent of the injury was not known, but he was on crutches after practice.
- CB Jeremy Baltazar was in an orange non-participation jersey with a back injury.
- The Gophers had two more highly coveted recruits visit practice -- Jeff Jones, the junior running back from Minneapolis Washburn, who has given the Gophers a verbal commitment for 2014, and Jashon Cornell, the sophomore defensive end from Cretin-Derham Hall, who has offers from Minnesota, USC, Notre Dame and Florida.
- The Gophers have held a moment of silence before each practice honoring linebacker Gary Tinsley, who died with an enlarged heart April 6, 2012. On Saturday, linebacker Aaron Hill wore Tinsley’s No. 51 as a tribute on the one-year anniversary of his death.
- There were two scuffles during practice, including one between defensive end Therein Cockran and offensive lineman Josh Campion. Coach Jerry Kill jumped right in both times to help restore order.
More from Star Tribune
More From Gridiron Gold
Three of the four Gophers players facing expulsion for their involvement in an alleged September sexual assault have moved on from the U this week.
Tamarion Johnson announced on Twitter that he is transferring to Arizona Western Community College.
Weber will get the chance to work with UCLA junior quarterback Josh Rosen, who was the Pac-12's Freshman Offensive Player of the Year in 2015.
Twenty-five new players signed to be Gophers on Wednesday morning.
The Gophers got several expected signings early Wednesday morning, but there are a few situations worth tracking.