I'm writing a story on Gophers defensive back Derrick Wells for our Sunday editions. In the meantime, here's some quick notes from Spring Practice #6:
- Jonah Pirsig, a redshirt freshman tackle from Blue Earth, went down with an apparent knee injury and had to be carted off the field after being helped to the sideline. The extent of the injury was not known, but he was on crutches after practice.
- CB Jeremy Baltazar was in an orange non-participation jersey with a back injury.
- The Gophers had two more highly coveted recruits visit practice -- Jeff Jones, the junior running back from Minneapolis Washburn, who has given the Gophers a verbal commitment for 2014, and Jashon Cornell, the sophomore defensive end from Cretin-Derham Hall, who has offers from Minnesota, USC, Notre Dame and Florida.
- The Gophers have held a moment of silence before each practice honoring linebacker Gary Tinsley, who died with an enlarged heart April 6, 2012. On Saturday, linebacker Aaron Hill wore Tinsley’s No. 51 as a tribute on the one-year anniversary of his death.
- There were two scuffles during practice, including one between defensive end Therein Cockran and offensive lineman Josh Campion. Coach Jerry Kill jumped right in both times to help restore order.
More from Star Tribune
More From Gridiron Gold
Jake Paulson, ranked as the No. 2 overall recruit out of Kentucky, gave the Gophers a verbal commitment on Wednesday.
New Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is assembling his coaching staff and has picked Ohio State's Ed Warinner to coach the offensive line
Former Gophers defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel met with new coach P.J. Fleck on Saturday but both appear to have moved in different directions.
Center Tyler Moore had made 20 consecutive starts before missing the Holiday Bowl because of a back injury.
New Gophers coach P.J. Fleck has landed 10 new recruits since taking the job Friday.