For Gavin Schilling, Minnesota has at least one characteristic that is critical for him: its “urban environment” as coach Tubby Smith called it last year.
“I like big cities,” said Schilling, a 6-9 forward from Chicago who made a recruiting visit this past weekend. “I don’t want to be locked in a small town where there’s nothing to do. I gotta have something around me; something always has to be going on. I can’t be living a boring life.”
Dinkytown seemed to give just the flavor he was looking for, with all the “nice restaurants” in the U of M-centered Minneapolis neighborhood enticing to Schilling.
Some other schools that have been courting Schilling – Wisconsin, Colorado State and Oregon State, for example – are in smaller, college towns. But Schilling has several other urban campuses to choose from: he’s also been offered by Vanderbilt, TCU and USC.
So far, Schilling hasn’t scheduled any other official visits, but says he plans to before making a decision in late spring of next year.
“I’m still trying to narrow down my list; I haven’t really started doing that yet,” he said. “I’m still trying to decide what schools to do and what schools not to do.”
Other notes from our conversation:
- On coach Tubby Smith: “He’s a real cool guy, and I think we could definitely build a strong relationship in the future.”
- Schilling is interested in economics and thinking about majoring in international business. He speaks three languages fluently: German, French and English (his dad is German, and he was raised in France).
- On the type of system he wants to play in: “I like to play fast, a fast-paced team that pick and pops, taking it off the dribble for a score, stuff like that. I like to shoot the mid-range shot and I like to get in the post, too.”
- Living in Chicago, Schilling watches a lot of Big Ten games involving Illinois and Northwestern. “I’ve been watching the team for a while,” he said of the Gophers.” My mom can like come out and see me play, so that would be the good part about it.”
- This year will be Schilling’s fourth high school in four years. He played at Loyola his freshman season, an elite school in Germany as a sophomore and at Chicago’s DeLaSalle last season.
- Per the popular pick, Schilling stated “the weather” as the biggest deterrent to choosing Minnesota.
* Schilling is a 6-9, 205-pound forward from Chicago who currently plays at Findlay Prep.
* Other schools that have offered him include: Colorado State, DePaul, Illinois, Oregon State, TCU, USC and Vanderbilt.
* Schilling is strong and a good presence down low, but needs to refine his shot.
More from Star Tribune
More From Gold in the Barn
The Gophers men's basketball team keeps itself in the hunt for a share of the Big Ten regular-season championship
Junior Reggie Lynch broke Gophers legend Randy Breuer's single-season blocks record of 89 set in 1981-82
The Gophers men's basketball team can avenge earlier loss to Penn State on Saturday at Williams Arena
The Gophers men's basketball team's six straight victories is tied for the second longest current winning streak in major conferences
Guards Dupree McBrayer, Nate Mason, Akeem Springs and Amir Coffey combined for 65 of the team's 89 points Wednesday at Maryland