The Gophers rallied to edge Iowa 4-3 on Friday in Big Ten baseball at Target Field. It was their eighth victory in a row. Trailing 3-2 in the seventh, No. 25 Minnesota (24-10, 8-1 Big Ten) took the lead on RBI doubles by Jordan Kozicky and Luke Pettersen.
Brett Schulze pitched 1⅔ scoreless innings to improve to 8-0; Max Meyer got the final four outs against the Hawkeyes (22-12, 6-5) for his 10th save. The teams will play again at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Twins’ ballpark.
• The Gophers baseball team’s home game with Bethel on May 2 was canceled; instead Minnesota added a game with Concordia (St. Paul) at 6 p.m. May 1 at Siebert Field.
U softball romps vs. ’Huskers
Dani Wagner and Danielle Parlich each had three RBI as the Gophers defeated visiting Nebraska 10-1 in five innings in Big Ten softball. Minnesota (25-14, 8-3 Big Ten) scored four runs in the first inning and three in the second and the third against Nebraska (30-16, 8-6).
Amber Fiser got the victory, giving up one run and six hits in four innings.
U gymnasts reach team finals
The Gophers men’s gymnastics team finished second in its session (404.758) at the NCAA Championships at the University of Illinois-Chicago Pavilion to advance to the team finals Saturday night for the third consecutive season.
• The Gophers’ Shane Wiskus was named the College Gymnastics Association’s rookie of the year and Minnesota’s Mike Burns the Central Region coach of the year.
• Emma Spagnola of the Gophers won the 400-meter hurdles in the Bryan Clay Invitational in 57.76 seconds — the second-best time in program history.
• Rushford-Peterson boys’ basketball coach Tom Vix, sixth in boys’ basketball state history with 684 victories, has retired. In 33 seasons, he led 16 teams to the state tournament. Vix coached three Class 1A championship teams — Rushford in 1989 and Rushford-Peterson in 2006 and 2015.
• A memorial service and reception will be held for longtime Carleton College men’s basketball and golf coach and administrator Jack Thurnblad at 1 p.m. on May 12 at Carleton’s Skinner Memorial Chapel. Thurnblad died Feb. 12 at his home in Northfield. He was 96.
• The Gophers defeated host Iowa 4-3 in women’s tennis. Caitlyn Merzbacher won 7-5, 6-0 over Montana Crawford at No. 5 singles for her 20th victory of the season for Minnesota (14-10, 6-4 Big Ten) and Barbara Mancera won 6-1, 0-6, 6-2 over Adorabol Huckleby at No. 4 singles for the deciding point.
• The Gophers men’s tennis team (14-6, 7-2 Big Ten) routed host Northwestern 7-0.
• The St. Paul Saints will hold their annual free, open tryout May 3 at CHS Field in downtown St. Paul. Registration begins at 9 a.m., with the tryout at 10 a.m. Each player should come in baseball attire with cleats and a glove, and position players should also bring a wood bat.
• Former Orioles player Andy Sackrison was hired as the St. Louis Park boys’ hockey coach. He played for Minnesota State Mankato.
• Mike Hastings, coach of the Minnesota State Mankato men’s hockey team, was named one of the assistant coaches for the 2019 U.S. national junior team. It will play in the 2019 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship Dec. 26 to Jan. 5, 2019, in Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia.