More than 300 leftover hunting and trapping licenses for Minnesota’s late wolf season, which begins Saturday, were sold out in less than a minute Monday.
“They went really quickly,’’ said Rick Nordby of the Department of Natural Resources. He said five people were in line at the DNR’s St. Paul office when the surplus licenses went on sale at noon.
“We got one person through,’’ he said, before the licenses were gone. The licenses were available at the 1,500 electronic license vendors around the state.
The DNR offered 187 surplus hunting licenses and 130 surplus trapping licenses — leftovers that weren’t bought by people who had won the right to buy them in a lottery. Applicants not selected in this year’s early or late season wolf license lottery could buy the licenses on a first-come, first-served basis.
The DNR allocated 2,400 wolf licenses for the late hunting and trapping season.
More from Star Tribune
More from Doug Smith
The DNR says members of the committee will contribute to the broader understanding of biological, social and economic aspects of the lake
The Department of Natural Resources will have field testing stations in Kandiyohi, Meeker, Morrison, Pope, Stearns, Swift and Todd counties.
Results mirror results in Minnesota, South Dakota.
Previously, the DNR said it would wait until an annual fall walleye survey was complete on Mille Lacs before determing whether winter walleye fishing could begin Dec. 1.
Deadline to apply is Sept. 24
Recommended For You
A defensive Donald Trump gave Hillary Clinton plenty of fresh material for the next phase of her presidential campaign on Tuesday, choosing to publicly reopen and relitigate some her most damaging attacks.
The GOP nominee wasn't up to the task in first presidential debate.
Comparing environmental successes to on-the-field failures, Twins president Dave St. Peter used an expletive when he cited 'the thing we screwed up' to a group at the University of Minnesota.
In a resounding rebuke, Democrats joined with Republicans Wednesday to hand Barack Obama the first veto override of his presidency, voting overwhelmingly to allow families of Sept. 11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia in U.S. courts for its alleged backing of the attackers.