Can’t get enough Garrison Keillor? Now you can get more. Prairie Home Productions announced Tuesday that Keillor will do three variety shows this fall at the Fitzgerald Theater. They will not be aired on radio. In each case, “The Rhubarb Show” will follow that Saturday’s broadcast of “A Prairie Home Companion.”

“Rhubarb,” described as a “a club version” of the radio gig, will feature guests from that night’s “Prairie Home” broadcast and local talent. Sound effects guy Fred Newman and magician Bill Arnold (one of the creators of “Triple Espresso”) will be Keillor’s regulars. Musical guests will include Chic Gamine and Katy Vernon (Sept. 21); songwriter Dan Penn, Molly Maher and her Disbelievers (Sept. 28); Pokey LaFarge and the Cactus Blossoms (Oct. 5). Tickets ($5-$40) go on sale Aug. 15 at Ticketmaster, or the Fitzgerald box office. Show time for all three dates is 9 p.m.


Dutch prince dies of skiing injuries

Prince Johan Friso, the younger brother of recently enthroned King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, died Monday as a result of brain injuries suffered during a skiing accident 18 months ago, the palace said. The communiqué posted on the royal website said that the 44-year-old prince “has died of complications related to the hypoxic brain injury which he suffered as the result of his skiing accident in Lech, Austria on 17 February 2012.” Friso was buried by an avalanche while skiing off a trail despite avalanche warnings. He was rescued after lying under the snow for about 20 minutes, but suffered irreversible brain damage and remained in a coma.

Dog found barking up the wrong tree

A 7-year-old border collie who was missing from his Iowa home for a few days didn’t get very far — he only went up. Laddy was found stuck up a tree two blocks from his Davenport home, the Quad-City Times reported. “I asked where they found him, and the officer said, ‘You’ll never believe this,”’ said his owner, Cynthia Weeks. Ron Stevenson was working in his yard Sunday when he heard a dog whining. He followed the sound along his driveway and, counter-intuitively, looked up. There was Laddy, at least 10 feet up in the tree. Stevenson said he called police and accepted one dispatcher’s skepticism. “I was getting impatient,” he said. “I didn’t know if the dog would bite me, but I just sort of shimmied up the tree. I grabbed him by the collar and sort of pulled him. I said, ‘It’s time for you to get out of this tree.”’ A responding police officer had seen fliers about Laddy and knew where the dog lived. Despite a few abrasions on the pads of his feet, Laddy’s otherwise fine. “He was pretty subdued when he got home,” Weeks said. “He’s been doing a ton of sleeping.”

News Services