"Brain Fighters," with, from left, Joseph Scrimshaw, Randy Reyes and Mo Perry, is amonge Fringe shows that have sold out at least one performance so far. Complete list below. (Photo provided by Fringe Festival)
The Minnesota Fringe Festival, which opened last Thursday, said that it sold 17,678 tickets to its opening weekend, a 25 percent uptick over 2008, but a decline of about 6 percent over last year's opening weekend.
Last year's festival sold just over 50,000 tickets during its entire run.
The festival runs through Sunday, Aug. 14, presenting 169 shows at 18 venues in Minneapolis, and one in St. Paul.
Fringe officials said these shows had experienced at least one sold-out performance in the opening weekend:
- “7 (x1) Samurai” presented by David Gaines Productions, U of M Rarig Center Proscenium
- “Blood & 2 Gingers” presented by A-Stage, Kieran's Irish Pub
- “Brain Fighters” presented by Joking Envelope, U of M Rarig Center Thrust (2 performances)
- “Change Your Underwear, Change Your Life” presented by Swell Gal Shows, Gremlin Theatre
- “Hamluke” presented by The Nerdyad, U of M Rarig Center Arena
- • “Losing My Religion: Confessions of a New Age Refugee” presented by Seth Lepore, Augsburg Studio
- “Mimi's Last Rehearsal” presented by Theater Zero, HUGE Improv Theater
- “Minnesota Middle Finger” presented by Ben San Del Presents, Theatre in the Round Players
- “Scientist Turned Comedian” presented by Tim Lee, Intermedia Arts
- “Sousepaw: A Baseball Story” presented by Shelby Company, HUGE Improv Theater
- “Super Spectacular!: To Opera with Love” presented by The Donovan Ensemble, Augsburg Mainstage
- “The 612” presented by Rogues Gallery Arts, Cult Status Gallery
- “The Duties and Responsibilities of Being a Sidekick” presented by The Barkada Theater Project, Gremlin Theatre
- “This is Where Your Free-time Goes to Die” presented by Screaming Mutes Production, Bryant-Lake Bowl
- “YARRRH! The Lusty, Busty Pirate Musical” presented by Fortune’s Fool Theatre, Gremlin Theatre
- “You Only Live Forever Once” presented by Four Humors Theater, Bryant-Lake Bowl
- "Your Responsibility for Sex Failure” presented by Vintage Remix, Minneapolis Theatre Garage
James P. Kennedy, from the show "Sousepaw: A Baseball Story" at the Minnesota Fringe Festival (photo provided by Fringe Festival)