No. 1 Hopkins tops No. 2 team
• HOPKINS 67, BLOOMINGTON KENNEDY 57: The No. 1-ranked Royals defeated the No. 2 Eagles on Friday in a rematch of last season’s Class 4A state championship.
Royals senior Molly O’Toole scored a team-high 14 points and freshman Jazmyn Martin added 12.
Kennedy took an 18-11 lead behind Kenisha Bell’s 10 first-half points. Bell recorded her 1,000th career point when she completed a three-point play early in the half, and she finished with 16 points. Lashayla Wright-Ponder added 12 for the Eagles.
Hopkins survived a 11-0 Kennedy run and answered with a 5-0 run of its own. O’Toole and Martin, a transfer from Kennedy, each scored nine points to give Hopkins a 33-28 halftime lead.
Hopkins took over in the second half behind a strong push from sophomore guard Nia Hollie. She scored nine points in the half as the Royals extended their lead. Bell sparked a late run for Kennedy, as the Eagles pulled within four with a minute left. Hollie, who had 12 points, added a late basket to seal the victory for Hopkins.
“We had to execute and be our best, and we did exactly that,” Hopkins coach Brian Cosgriff said.
• CHISAGO LAKES 80, DULUTH DENFELD 52: Senior center Bryanna Fernstrom tied a Chisago Lakes school record with 40 points and also grabbed 17 rebounds to lead the Wildcats, ranked No. 5 in Class 3A, to the victory over the Hunters.
• HOLY FAMILY 71, HOLY ANGELS 58: Senior Michaela Rasmussen scored 31 points — including her 1,000th career point — and had 15 rebounds to spark the Fire.
• PARK OF COTTAGE GROVE 71, APPLE VALLEY 58: Sydney Lamberty scored 27 to lead the Wolfpack past the Eagles.
• FRIDLEY 83, CONCORDIA (ROSEVILLE) 58: Michael Murray scored 22 points to help the Tigers, who trailed by five points at halftime, pull away for the victory.
• TOTINO-GRACE 83, NORTH BRANCH 52: Reggie Meyer had 26 points — 22 in the first half — and 11 rebounds to pace the Eagles to the victory.