Underwood QB runs for six TDs
• UNDERWOOD 37, ELY 14: Justin Masloski ran for six touchdowns Friday night in St. Cloud, leading the third-ranked Rockets (13-0) past the No. 6 Timberwolves (12-1) and into their second Nine-man final in three years.
Masloski, a senior quarterback, finished with 159 yards on 11 carries. All but one of his touchdown runs was from longer than 10 yards. The one short run came on a 1-yard sneak that was set up by a 75-yard punt return by Dylan Kalenze.
Masloski needs 42 yards in the championship game to become the third player on the Rockets to reach the 1,000-yard mark.
The Rockets will face the winner of Saturday’s game between No. 1 Grand Meadow, who own the state’s longest active winning streak, and No. 2 Waubun. The Rockets have been knocked out of the state tournament by Grand Meadow in each of the past three years.
• PIPESTONE 49, UNITED NORTH CENTRAL 9: Brayden Baartman threw two touchdown passes to Justin Rops and ran for another, leading the Arrows (13-0) to the championship by beating the Warriors (9-3). Pipestone broke the game open in the second quarter with 22 consecutive points, including a 75-yard touchdown run by Rops. to take a 35-7 halftime lead. Daniel Larson added two touchdown runs in the second half.
• CONCORDIA ACADEMY 3, DELASALLE 0: Outside hitter Erin Fallert had 13 kills to help the top-seeded Beacons clinch a state tournament bid with a 25-15, 25-20, 25-14 victory over the second-seeded Islanders in the Section 5 championship game at Holy Angels. Concordia heads to its second consecutive state tournament.
• HILL-MURRAY 3, NEW LIFE ACADEMY 2: The Pioneers rallied in the fifth set to defeat the Eagles 19-25, 25-18, 21-25, 28-26, 16-14. They return to the state tournament for the first time since finishing second in 2013.
• HERITAGE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY 3, LEGACY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY 0: The Eagles swept the Lions 25-18, 25-19, 25-18 to advance to state tournament for the first time in school history.