Flip Saunders met with the media this afternoon to explain the trade that sent former No. 2 overall pick Derrick Williams to Sacramento for veteran defensive specialist Luc Mbah a Moute.
Here's the video our shooter David Brewster did from the gathering, including a little standup bit that Jim Souhan and I did. Turned out kind of funny the way David edited it.
Here's a bunch of this and that, most of it taken from my Twitter feed today:
* Mbah a Moute will wear No. 12 for the Wolves after wearing No. 33 in Sacramento.
* Flip said there's a chance LMM plays Wednesday night vs. Denver. "We're hoping," he said. The new guy is due in town tonight and will undergo a physical exam in the morning.
* LMM didn't have a physical done before the league was finalized. Flip said his team had done extensive background on LMM's knees and are confident there's no issue after he underwent surgery in May 2012 to resolve tendinitis.
* Flip said he and Rick Adelman concluded Derrick can't play small forward in Adelman's system -- didn't rule out that he couldn't play it in other coach's system, including Sacramento's. And he asked if Williams's value would be any greater in a month or at the February trade deadline if he wasn't playing much, which he wasn't of course.
* Flip said contrary to popular opinion on Twitter, Adelman actually likes Derrick and think he'll be a good player in this league. Said he doesn't hate him. Implied, though, that Derrick never won Adelman's trust and team needs to find bench guys Adelman can trust to play more to relieve stress on the starters.
* Interesting that when talking about adding one of the league's best individual defenders, Flip singled out Dante Cunningham as the team's best defender pre-LMM.
* I asked Flip if he would have preferred to deal Derrick to add bench scoring and he said sometimes your scoring from your defense.
* Asked Flip about D League for Shabazz or Robbie Hummel but he said notion that they'll sit on bench now isn't necessarily true. Said they want to expand bench play beyond eight guys to help out starters.
And one more thing:
My compatriot Jason Jones of the Sac Bee put up this posting on the trade this afternoon. It's a good read from the other side of the deal.
That's all for now. Carry on...