FEMA said no. Again.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency Friday told Gov. Mark Dayton that it considered his appeal of its rejection of disaster assistance for individuals who had homes damaged in the June floods and storms. But it still decided the damage was "not of the severity and magnitude" to warrant help.
"I regret that a more favorable conclusion could not be reached in this case," said William Craig Fugate, FEMA administrator in a letter to Dayton.
Dayton said the lack of federal funds could add to state costs.
“I am very disappointed that FEMA has rejected my appeal of their decision to deny the Individual Assistance for Minnesotans whose homes, businesses, and lives were devastated by the terrible flooding. I will ask the Legislature to include that assistance, estimated at $7.4 million in the upcoming special session,” he said in a statement. This week, he proposed a $190 million disaster aid package for lawmakers to consider in an August special session.
The second rejection fits with FEMA’s history. In the last three years, states have made 23 appeals of the agency’s rejection of individual assistance grant funding. Of those, only five were granted.
FEMA had previously approved federal funding to help pay for damage to public infrastructure.
Here's FEMA's letter: