A fire at a Woodbury senior living complex last month that killed a 77-year-old resident and injured several others was caused by careless smoking.

Russell W. Johnson died when a fire broke out about 4:15 a.m. on March 27, at Woodbury Villa, part of a senior living campus near Woodbury High School. The fire prompted the evacuation of 71 residents to a nearby building.

Two women were hospitalized for smoke-related injuries that were not life-threatening, and a firefighter was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

The fire started in and was contained to the unit where Johnson was found.

Woodbury Villa is a 75-unit apartment building that offers assisted living services.

Smoking isn’t allowed in the building.