The coldest college in America? Minnesota State University in Moorhead, according to a new ranking by the website College Prowler.
A report in the Huffington Post shows that nine of the ten coldest campuses are in Minnesota, based on the Prowler survey. The only outlier isn't far away: The University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire came in at No. 5.
The rankings are based on the reviews of students, one of whom said of the Moorhead campus: "The winters are brutal, and summers are too short."
That could probably describe the entire Top 10:
1. Minnesota State U., Moorhead, MN
2. Concordia College, Moorhead, MN
3. College of St. Benedict, Collegeville, MN. (There's no mention of St. John's University, its adjacent partner)
4. St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN.
5. University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire
6. Carleton College, Northfield, MN
7. University of Northwestern (formerly Northwestern College), St. Paul
Campus Confidential scours student unions, lecture halls and dorms for the crucial and quirky stories that make colleges and universities special. Share what you’re up to on a Friday night, learning (or not) in that lecture - and what you're looking for in a school search as a new student. Higher education reporter Maura Lerner will keep you informed.
The 20-year-old suspect in the deadly Washington state mall shooting said nothing and appeared "zombie-like" when he was arrested by authorities nearly 24 hours into an intense manhunt, authorities said.
Today's reinforcing shot will make it feel like teens at times. Winds ease tomorrow under blue sky; a few light showers Sunday as the mercury limps into the 50s. Check the blog for more details. -Todd Nelson