Now the longest-running radio station charity album in the country -- and certainly the biggest locally -- Cities 97's 23rd annual "Sampler" collection will go on sale Nov. 17 at area Target Stores for $25.97. Also look for a release party Nov. 15 at First Avenue with performers TBA. The track list for "Vol. 23," featuring 19 songs on a single disc, is now posted on the Cities site along with samples of each "Sampler" cut (click here). Most were recorded live in the station's Studio C.
It looks to be a cooler-than-average year, with acts such as Adele, Mumford & Sons, Florence + the Machine, Ray LaMontagne, Lissie, Fitz & the Tantrums and the Head & the Heart (also all favorites on the Current 89.3) bumping up against more standard fare by David Gray, Michael Franti, Sara Bareilles, David Gray and O.A.R. Americana rockers Farewell Milwaukee are representing the local music scene in the collection this year. Too bad they didn't also include the Drive-by Truckers' "Too Much Sex, Too Little Jesus" from the Basilica Block Party -- now that would've been cool. Here's the full track list below.
Always the coolest thing about the discs, Cities 97 will once again turn sales of the CDs (limited to around 33,000 copies) into a $800,000 or so boost to local charities serving the needy.
1. Someone Like You -- Adele
2. Windows Are Rolled Down – Amos Lee
3. Faster – Matt Nathanson
4. Lost In My Mind – The Head & The Heart
5. Uncharted – Sara Bareilles
6. We Don’t Gotta Work It Out -- Fitz & The Tantrums
7. For The Summer – Ray LaMontagne & The Pariah Dogs
8. When I’m Alone -- Lissie
9. Hey Mama – Mat Kearney
10. Animal – Neon Trees
11. Heart on Fire – Scars on 45
12. Heaven – O.A.R.
13. Only The Wine – David Gray
14. Always Be Your Man – Farewell Milwaukee
15. The Cave – Mumford & Sons
16. Lights – Ellie Goulding
17. Poison & Wine – The Civil Wars
18. Dog Days Are Over – Florence + The Machine
19. Say Hey (I Love You) – Michael Franti & Spearhead