One week before their annual spring game, the Gophers held their most extensive scrimmage of spring practice Saturday.
The defense dominated early, keeping the offense without a point for the first seven drives. But the Gophers started running their hurry-up offense, and converted several big plays.
Here were some notable highlights:
- Cedric Thompson made a terrific interception to halt the first drive.
- Ryan Santoso made field goals of 26 and 46 yards. Andrew Harte hit a 43-yard field goal, and those two combined to make every extra point. Those two are both redshirt freshmen.
- Mitch Leidner hit KJ Maye with a 50-yard touchdown pass.
- Donnell Kirkwood had rushes for 7, 8, 37, 9, 19 and 10 yards.
- Chris Streveler completed a 32-yard pass to Eric Carter
- Rodrick Williams had touchdown runs of 7 and 15 yards.
- Berkley Edwards had 49-yard touchdown run.
- Logan Hutton made a big diving catch on a throw by Conor Rhoda.
- Leidner added a 29-yard touchdown run.
For more perspective, noting which defense was on the field for each drive, etc., here’s a summation from my play-by-play notes:
First-offense (Leidner at QB) vs. first defense
Cobb: 2 rushes, 16 yards.
Kirkwood: 1 rush, 7 yards
Last play: Leidner threw a pass for Plsek that got tipped, and Cedric Thompson intercepted it with an acrobatic play.