draft prospects to watch
The 2013 draft is about six weeks away, so it's time to look at some of the top prospects available. The Twins have the fourth overall selection, giving them another opportunity to add top-shelf talent. Things can change between now and the June6 draft but for now, here are five top prospects expected to go high in the draft.
1. Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford: Was a top pick last season but did not sign. Has done nothing to hurt 2013 stock. Throws above 95 miles per hour, has a very good slider and good control.
2. Jonathan Gray, RHP, Oklahoma: Has surged this season to move right behind Appel in the pecking order. Fastball has touched 100 mph but sits around 95-98. Also has a good slider.
3. Sean Manaea, LHP, Indiana State: Really impressed during Cape Cod League and has taken it into the college season. Fastball can reach the mid-90s and has very good movement.
4. Austin Meadows, OF, Grayson High (Loganville, Ga.): Another one of those multitalented prep outfielders from Georgia (see Byron Buxton). Meadows has a smooth swing and can use the whole field.
5. Kris Bryant, 3B/OF, University of San Diego: Great size (6-5, 215) and one of the best power bats in the draft. There are concerns that he won't be able to stick at third base and will be better suited for the outfield.
La VELLE E. NEAL III