The full body of offseason evidence and logic screams that the quarterback competition is over. Yet we continue to ask Vikings coach Mike Zimmer for the official declaration or some sort of cloud of smoke to tell us the Matt Cassel will start on Sept. 7 at St. Louis.
Zimmer just met with reporters and said he’s not ready to name the starter for the regular season opener. But he did say Cassel will start the third preseason game on Saturday at Kansas City. He also said it’s possible that rookie Teddy Bridgewater will see action with the first unit, which is something that didn’t happen this past Saturday against the Cardinals.
In injury news
- Zimmer said safety Robert Blanton will practice today. It’s his first practice since pulling a hamstring in the fourth practice of camp.
- Cornerback Shaun Prater (head injury) won’t practice today but is expected to practice Tuesday.
- Cornerback Jabari Price, who has an injury Zimmer wouldn’t reveal, is expected to miss Saturday’s game.
- Linebacker Gerald Hodges (knee) won’t practice today and will not play on Saturday.
- Nose tackle Linval Joseph (calf) will do some rehab work today, but is not expected to play on Saturday. He hasn’t practiced since suffering what was described as a minor gunshot wound as an innocent bystander during an incident at a downtown nightclub after the preseason opener.
- And, finally, judging by Zimmer’s tone, it might be a good idea for cornerback Josh Robinson (hamstring) to get back on the field pronto. When asked when Blanton and Robinson would return to practice, Zimmer said, “Blanton will go today. The other guy, who knows.”