This week, the Minnesota Department of Transportation will close two thoroughfares that pass under I-35E in the east metro.
On Wednesday, County Road B will be closed from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weather permitting to allow crews to place bridge beams for the new northbound I-35E lanes. Motorists are encouraged to use Rice Street to Hwy. 36 to Edgerton Street to bypass the closure. Access to residential areas and business along County B will be retained, MnDOT said.
Starting Friday, Phalen Boulevard/Pennsylvania Avenue will close at I-35E for approximately two weeks. During the closure, crews will lower a portion of the road to avoid height restrictions during construction of the new I-35E bridges spanning the roadway. Motorists will be detoured via Jackson Street, University Avenue and Olive Street.
Starting sometime next week, Roselawn Avenue at I-35E will be closed to install new bridge beams.
While we are on the topic of closings, a reminder that the ramp from eastbound 694 to southbound 35E is closed for the next four to six weeks. The projected opening date is Sept. 18.
This spring's heavy rains eroded the bottom of the ditch and soil above the washed out area has started to slide down the hill.
During the closure, large sheets of steel, called piling, will be installed in the ditch to stabilize the soil and protect the shoulder and driving lanes of I-694. The ramp is expected to open by mid-September.
The detour takes drivers over to Hwy. 61, then back west on 694 to southbound 35E.
The following ramps along the I-35E corridor between 694 and downtown St. Paul remained closed thorugh mid-October in association with work on the new MnPASS lanes and freeway resurfacing project.
Ramps closed until late October 2014 include:
- Little Canada Road to southbound I-35E
- Southbound I-35E to eastbound Highway 36
- Westbound and eastbound Highway 36 to southbound I-35E
- Roselawn Avenue to southbound I-35E
- Maryland Avenue to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to Roselawn Avenue
- Roselawn Avenue to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to westbound Highway 36
- Northbound I-35E to eastbound Highway 36
- Westbound and eastbound Highway 36 to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to Little Canada Road