Here’s a look at how the Big Ten bowl picture might look:
BCS CHAMPIONSHIP (Jan. 6, Pasadena, Calif.)
• Ohio State vs. Florida State: Buckeyes benefit greatly from Auburn’s miracle victory but now need to beat Michigan State.
ROSE (Jan. 1, Pasadena, Calif.)
• Michigan State vs. Stanford: Like Buckeyes, Spartans are big winners in Alabama-Auburn aftermath.
CAPITAL ONE (Jan. 1, Orlando)
• Wisconsin vs. Missouri: With loss to Penn State, Badgers blew their chance at a BCS bowl and will settle for Orlando.
OUTBACK (Jan. 1, Tampa)
• Iowa vs. South Carolina: The Hawkeyes’ rout of Nebraska likely earns them this spot.
BUFFALO WILD WINGS (Dec. 28, Tempe, Ariz.)
• Nebraska vs. Oklahoma: A matchup from the Big Eight’s glory days wouldn’t be a bad consolation prize for the Huskers.
GATOR (Jan. 1, Jacksonville)
• Michigan vs. Georgia: The Wolverines’ near miss against Ohio State likely is enough for the Gator Bowl poobahs to pass on the Gophers.
TEXAS (Dec. 27, Houston)
• Gophers vs. Kansas State: The opponent could be Texas Tech, but would the Big 12 try to avoid a rematch from last year?
Note: Two Big Ten teams are likely to earn BCS bowl berths. If that happens, the conference won’t have enough eligible teams to fill the Heart of Dallas and Little Caesars bowls.