The top two men's basketball teams in the MIAC play tonight when St. Thomas (15-1, 18-3 overall) travels to St. Olaf to play the Oles (14-2, 17-4.)
You can watch live video of the game by clicking here.
Here are game notes, provided by the St. Olaf athletic department:
OLES AT HOME, TOMMIES ON THE ROAD
- St. Olaf is 8-0 at home this season while St. Thomas is 8-3 on the road.
MIAC PLAYOFF BIDS SECURED
- St. Olaf and St. Thomas have clinched spots in the six-team MIAC playoffs... UST has secured a first round bye and no less than the No. 2 seed... The Oles can do the same with a win or Augsburg loss in any of the final four games.
STREAKING ST. OLAF
- St. Olaf has won 10 in a row and 13 of its last 14... The Oles' last loss was a 62-61 decision at St. Thomas on January 8... The win streak is the longest for any MIAC season at St. Olaf and second longest in school history, as the 1970-71 team won 12 in a row as a part of the Midwest Conference... The streak in MIAC play is one better than the 1929-30 team that won nine in a row.
IN THE RANKINGS
- St. Thomas remained at No. 11 in the D3hoops.com Top 25 poll this week, while St. Olaf remained unranked... The Oles, however, received votes for the first time in this week's poll.
GUNDERSON PASSES 1,000 POINTS, EARNS SECOND PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONOR
- St. Olaf senior forward Connor Gunderson was named the MIAC men's basketball player of the week on Monday after he led St. Olaf to a pair of victories last week... The honor is the second in the last three weeks for Gunderson, who had 19 points in each of the Oles' wins at Concordia and Saint John's... He surpassed 1,000 career points in Wednesday's win at Concordia and had 19 and 11 rebounds in Saturday's win at Saint John's... He is the 18th player in the history of the program to reach 1,000 career points and the third in the last three seasons (Bobby Fong and Stuart Neville in 2012).
EFFICIENT, DEFENSIVE EFFORT
- Of 425 teams in Division III, St. Olaf is fourth in the country in fewest turnovers committed (9.3/game), seventh in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.57), eighth in team defense (60.0 points/game) and 15th in scoring margin (+13.6).
NIELSEN ON POINT
- Junior point guard Sterling Nielsen is 12th in the country in assist-to-turnover ratio... During the team's 10-game winning streak, he has 43 assists against only 11 turnovers and is averaging 12.0 points while shooting 37.5 percent from the arc and 81.1 percent from the line.
- St. Thomas has won the last five meetings between the schools... The last St. Olaf win in the series was a 73-68 win at No. 7 St. Thomas on Jan. 31, 2011... The last home win for St. Olaf over UST was a 82-80 triple overtime win on Feb. 19, 2003.