Authorities released the identity Monday of the Twin Cities man who was shot and killed by an Eau Claire County (Wis.) sheriff's deputy over the weekend, disclosing that he was a 69-year-old convicted bank robber who was wanted by federal authorities for violating terms of his parole.

David S. Mack, of St. Paul, was shot Sunday morning after he threatened the deputy with a stun gun and kept coming at him, according to Eau Claire County Sheriff Ron Cramer.

The shooting occurred shortly before 7 a.m. in a parking lot outside a Laundromat on the west side of Eau Claire, Cramer said. Mack was taken to Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire and pronounced dead.

Chris Clifford, supervisory deputy for the U.S. Marshals Service in Minnesota, said warrants were issued for his arrest for violations of his parole stemming from a bank robbery conviction. Federal records show that Mack was released from prison in October 2013.

Clifford said that no federal agents were deployed looking for Mack at the time of his death. Clifford said each of his agents has several cases to handle at any one time.

Cramer said Mack "spent a lengthy amount of time in federal prison, and he knew the warrants were out [for his arrest]. He was not going to go back to prison, based on his actions."

While robbing the Lake Country State Bank in Eagle Bend, about 30 miles northeast of Alexandria, Mack ordered an assistant cashier to open the vault. He was convicted in 1992 and sentenced to 25 years in prison with five of those years on supervised release.

In another bank robbery, Mack took money and blank travelers checks while armed. Court records say he assaulted a bank employee in the process. He pleaded guilty, and his prison time was tacked on to a sentence he was already serving.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigation is investigating the shooting. Eau Claire police are collecting evidence, and the Wisconsin State Patrol is documenting that evidence.

Mack's body is now with the Ramsey County medical examiner's office, where autopsy results are pending, a county official said Monday.

Cramer said the investigation will include interviews with the deputy and any witnesses, along with a review of squad car video.

The deputy, whose identity has yet to be disclosed, was placed on standard administrative leave.