A 43-year-old man was arrested Thursday in the sexual assault of a woman as she walked alone near her home in south Minneapolis late at night over the weekend, authorities said.
The two-time convicted felon from Minneapolis was apprehended without incident in a home in the 500 block of Oliver Avenue N., police said.
He was booked into the Hennepin County jail late in the morning on suspicion of sexual assault and an outstanding warrant from Ramsey County. He has yet to be charged.
The suspect's criminal history in Minnesota includes felony convictions in 2003 and 1990 for robbery.
Police are crediting the arrest to their release to the news media of a surveillance photograph Wednesday showing the man getting on a bus early Saturday.
A friend of the woman said the man took the woman's cellphone and coat, then got on the same downtown Minneapolis bus as his 33-year-old victim about 2 a.m.
He got off at her stop near E. 34th Street and Chicago Avenue S., dragged her to a fenced-in area near a day-care center and sexually assaulted her, the friend said.
The attack near Powderhorn Park was the third in three weeks involving men targeting women as they walked alone in Minneapolis.
A suspect remains at large in a predawn attack on Nov. 19 along Stevens Square Park in the 1800 block of Stevens Avenue S., where a 26-year-old woman was sexually assaulted.
Hours later that same day, a female college student was attacked and robbed near the West Bank Minneapolis campus of St. Catherine University. Last week, registered sex offender Louis R. Oliver, 47, of Hastings, was charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct in that attack. Oliver remains jailed.
Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482