Three of the Twin Cities' biggest – and, in our very critical and picky minds, best – outdoor block parties announced their music lineups today. Here's a quick look at each of them.
STONE ARCH BRIDGE FESTIVAL (June 13-15, St. Anthony Main, downtown Minneapolis riverfront, free)
As usual, the artsy riverside shindig will be spread over three stages. Unlike most years, though, it won’t bump up against Rock the Garden (which falls a weekend later this year). Click here for the fest's site.
- Friday, June 13: The Cactus Blossoms, Frankie Lee, Mike Munson.
- Saturday, June 14: Sean Anonymous, Greg Grease, Unknown Prophets, Taj Raj, Two Harbors, Step Rockets, Tortuga!, Mother Banjo, Will Bauermeister, Andra Suchy, many more.
- Sunday, June 15: Jillian Rae, Dan Israel, Ben Glaros, EMOT, Johnny Rey, Ruben, Courtney Yasmineh Band, Billy Johnson, Some Pulp, Street Hassle, Steve Noonan, more.
ROOTS, ROCK & DEEP BLUES FESTIVAL (July 19, Lake St and Hiawatha Av., south Minneapolis, $15)
Newly named “best block party” in the Star Tribune’s latest Best of MN package, this eclectic mish-mash of raw blues, vintage soul, traditional country and punky rock is spread between Patrick’s Cabaret, Harriet Brewing and some outdoor stages. It’s not free, but the $15 tickets benefit Patrick’s nonprofit community arts programs.
- Sonny Knight & The Lakers, Black Eyed Snakes, Mississippi’s Kent Burnside & the New Generation, Black Market Brass, Crankshaft & The Gear Grinders, Erik Koskinen, Molly Maher, Spider John Koerner, Black Diet, the 757s, Eleganza!, Nikki & the Ruemates, Kitten Forever, more.
PIZZA LUCE BLOCK PARTY (Aug. 9, 4th St. N. and 1st Av. N., downtown Minneapolis, free)
Back for another year outside its downtown location after outgrowing the Uptown site, this year’s pizza party is especially heavy with hip-hop and balances some familiar names with newcomers.
- GRRRL PRTY (9 p.m.), Mark Mallman (8), Heiruspecs (7), Dem Atlas (6), Black Market Brass (5), Charlie Parr (4), Carnage (3), Twinkie Jiggles Orchestra (2), Gin Strings (1), Love Lake (noon).