It's only appropriate that Saturday serves up the St. Paul Summer Beer Festival at the State Fairgrounds because with two freeways in Minneapolis to be shut down and a host of other road-construction roadblocks on the weekend calendar, a drink might be in order, just not before or while driving.
Both directions of I-94 will be closed Friday night through Monday morning between I-394 and I-35W. Complicating matters is that northbound I-35W will be closed from the Crosstown Hwy. 62 to downtown Sunday night to Monday morning.
Also, northbound 35W's main exits into downtown Minneapolis (to 5th Avenue, 11th Street and Grant Street) are closing this weekend and will remain closed until fall.
That's on top of the myriad projects already underway. So grab your maps and GPS units if you're headed to this weekend's Twins games at Target Field, the first Open Streets event Sunday on Lyndale Avenue between 22nd to 54th streets or simply want to avoid a long detour or traffic jam.
Here is your weekend road work rundown:
1. Interstate 94: Both directions will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday
2. Interstate 35W: Northbound lanes will be closed from 10 p.m. Sunday until 5 a.m. Monday between the Crosstown Hwy. 62 to downtown. Note the detour is to take Hwy. 62 east to Hiawatha Avenue north to I-35W north.
Long-term ramp closures starting at 10 p.m. Friday: Northbound I-35W to Lake and 31st streets, 31st Street to southbound I-35W, 35th Street to northbound I-35W and eastbound I-94 to southbound I-35W.
3. Penn Avenue N.: Three closures related to construction of the C-Line bus rapid transit line are in place: 26th to Lowry avenues, 17th to 21st avenues and 12th to 14th avenues
4. University Avenue NE. : Closed at 27th Avenue NE.; single lane each direction from 32nd to 27th Avenues.
5. Hennepin Avenue S.: Closed from 31st to 36th streets.
6. Crosstown Hwy. 62: Westbound reduced to a single lane at 34th Avenue.
7. Wabasha Street: Closed from Plato Boulevard to Cesar Chavez Street due to a rock slide.
8. Snelling Avenue: Lane restrictions beween Randolph Avenue and Ford Parkway.
9. Hwy. 149/Smith Avenue: The High Bridge over the Mississippi River is closed unti December.
10. I-35 in Forest Lake: Northbound reduced to two lanes from Hwy. 97 to Hwy. 8
11. Hwy. 36 in Roseville: Eastbound lane and ramp closures between Cleveland and Hamline avenues.
12. Hwy. 10 in Elk River: Eastbound reduced to one lane and westbound to two lanes and sometimes one for between Joplin Street and Upland Avenue. Periodic lane closures in both directions from Hwy. 101 to Thurston Avenue.
13. Hwy. 169 in Champlin: Single lane traffic in both directions between Hwy. 610 and East Hayden Lake Road.
14. Hwy. 50 in Farmington: Single lane between Hwys. 3 and 52. Flagging operations will occur between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily through late August.
15. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic between Girard and Xerxes avenues S. The project extends from Xerxes Avenue on the west end to 16th Avenue South on the east end.
16. Hwy. 3 in Inver Grove Heights: Closed in both directions between Rich Valley Boulevard and Hwy. 55.
17. Hwy. 7 in St. Louis Park: Alternating lane closures between Louisiana Avenue and I-494.
18. Hwy. 95 in Afton: Closed between 40th and 70th streets.