TAMPA, Fla. — Aaron Judge fretted like many Yankees fans as big-name free agents kept signing elsewhere.
''It was brutal,'' the New York captain said Monday after the year's first full-squad workout. ''Early on it was pretty tough to watch. I'm like: Man, we're the New York Yankees. Let's go out there and get the right people.''
Judge spoke at length about the Yankees' lack of World Series title since 2009, of homering and striking out against 22-year-old flamethrower Carlos Lagrange during the workout, about captaining the U.S. in the upcoming World Baseball Classic and last year's elbow injury.
''The awards, the MVP, All-Stars, man, that stuff, it doesn't matter. What matters is putting New York back on top and putting this organization back where it belongs," Judge said. ''I don't get paid to just play this game. I get paid to win here.''
Judge missed 10 games between July 25 and Aug. 5 because of a flexor strain in his right elbow sustained making a throw home from right field at Toronto on July 22. He didn't return to the outfield until Sept. 5 and he threw gingerly at 67.9 mph. Judge gained arm strength during the rest of the season but didn't get to 100%.
''I've never dealt with any elbow stuff, so I was definitely concerned,'' he said.
Judge wasn't sure until after the postseason that he would avoid surgery.
''They ran all the checks again and did all the tests and they said: `You're good to go,''' he remembered. ''And I said: All right, when can we start throwing? So it was good. It was great. It was great to hear those words so that now I can go into the offseason and just prepare the way I need to be in the best shape to start the year."