From hockey to politics: highlights of the transformation
• 20 miles of cable installed inside the Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul RiverCentre and Roy Wilkins Auditorium complex.
• About 600 workers employed on various aspects of transforming the Xcel from a hockey arena to a convention center.
• Construction work on podium, with details remaining secret, to begin in early to mid-August.
• The price tag? Republicans aren't saying, but part of the $39 million raised by the Minneapolis St. Paul Host Committee will pay for converting the Xcel. Individual media companies, including TV networks, pay to build and equip their own media spaces.
• Republicans hope to give the media weekly tours in July and August as the transformation of the Xcel complex evolves.