NEW YORK — The WNBA sent a counterproposal to its players' union on Friday for a new collective bargaining agreement that included continuing to pay for housing for all players this season, but not really changing its previous revenue sharing offer, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity Saturday because of the sensitive nature of negotiations.
In the league's new proposal, which came three days after the union had given the WNBA an offer, the teams would pay for all housing this season. Then teams would pay for housing for players on minimum salary contracts as well as rookies in their first season, the person said.
They'd also pay for the housing of the two developmental players that teams would be allowed to have.
The union had asked for teams to continue paying for housing for players in the first few years of the new agreement, but in the last two years of the CBA the franchises would no longer have to pay for housing for players that are making near the maximum salary.
The union in its offer earlier this week asked for an average of 27.5% of the gross revenue — revenue before expenses — over the course of the CBA. That would include only 25% in the first year of the new deal. In its previous offer, the union had asked for an average of more than 30%.
The league said at that point that the revenue sharing percentage remained unrealistic and would cause "hundreds of millions of dollars of losses for our teams,'' the WNBA said in a statement.
The WNBA's proposal would give players more than 70% of net revenue. That would be their take of the profits after expenses are paid. Those expenses would include upgraded facilities, charter flights, five-star hotels, medical services, security and arenas.