What happened in N. Charleston

Saturday, April 4

9:33 a.m. Police officer Michael Slager pulled Walter Scott over for a broken taillight on his Mercedes-Benz sedan.

9:38 a.m. Slager called police dispatch. "Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser," Slager told the dispatcher.

9:40 a.m. Scott described as unresponsive. Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

Police reports said Slager fired his Taser, an electronic stun gun. Scott didn't stop.

Sunday, April 5

An autopsy found that Scott suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the back of his body. County Coroner Rae Wooten ruled it a homicide.

Tuesday, April 7

North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey told a hastily called news conference that Slager had been arrested and charged with murder after law enforcement officials saw an eyewitness's cellphone video of the shooting. The video, also given to the media, showed the officer firing eight shots at Scott's back as Scott was running away. He fell on the eighth shot, fired after a brief pause. The video then showed the officer slowly walking toward him, and ordering him to put his hands behind his back. When Scott didn't move, Slager pulled his arms back and cuffed his hands. Then he walked back to where he fired the shots, picked up an object, and returned to Scott before dropping the object by Scott's feet.

Wednesday, April 8

City officials, seeking to defuse tension over the video, promised to outfit the entire police department with body cameras. "I have watched the video, and I was sickened by what I saw," said Police Chief Eddie Driggers. Dozens of people gathered outside City Hall in North Charleston to protest what they said was a persistent abuse of power by the police. Clutching signs with slogans like "The whole world is watching" and "Back turned, don't shoot," protesters talked about Scott's death and deeper problems in the relationship between the police and the people they are meant to serve. The U.S. Justice Department and FBI announced a separate investigation.

Thursday, April 9

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division released dashboard camera footage from the traffic stop. It showed Slager approaching the car and asking Scott for his license and registration. After Slager returned to his patrol car, Scott exited the car briefly, then sat back down. Seconds later, the door opened again and he fled. A second person was visible in Scott's passenger seat. Mario Givens, another black man, said Slager came to his house in September 2013, pushed in the door, and hit him in the stomach with a stun gun. Givens said he was unarmed, and he filed a complaint. Slager remained on the force.

Friday, April 10

The National Bar Association, a predominantly African-American legal group, called for the firing and the indictment of a black police officer, Clarence Habersham, who arrived on the scene shortly after the Scott shooting. The group alleged that he filed a false police report. Mourners gathered at a wake for Scott. The Charleston County Sheriff's Department released a report that Scott was jailed in 1987 on a charge of assault and battery.

News services