Tigers' Verlander delivers the heat
• DETROIT 7, CHICAGO 4: Justin Verlander's fastball reached 99 mph in evading a bases-loaded jam during his final inning, and Victor Martinez hit his 200th career home run as the Tigers beat the White Sox on Wednesday in Detroit. Verlander threw five straight fastballs 98-99 mph in striking out Geovany Soto to end the seventh inning and exited with a four-run lead. He allowed three runs on five hits with eight strikeouts
• TORONTO 4, NEW YORK 0: Russell Martin hit a three-run homer, and Marcus Stroman pitched seven strong innings to win his third start in a row, leading the Blue Jays over the Yankees in Toronto. Martin connected off Andrew Bailey in the seventh, matching his career high for homers with 21, as Toronto took two of three from New York in a showdown between the AL East's top teams. Stroman allowed five hits, walked one and struck out five in his third start — all wins — since returning from a torn knee ligament suffered in spring training.
• TAMPA BAY 6, BOSTON 2: Drew Smyly pitched shutout ball into the seventh inning, and John Jaso's two-run double keyed a three-run eighth to carry the Rays past the Red Sox at Fenway Park. Steven Souza Jr. had four hits and Asdrubal Cabrera three hits for Tampa Bay and both hit solo homers in the ninth.
Freeman's five RBI pace Braves
• ATLANTA 6, NEW YORK 3: Freddie Freeman broke a ninth-inning tie with a three-run homer after driving in two as a pinch hitter in the seventh, as the Braves stunned the Mets in the finale of New York's rough homestand. David Wright had a tying, two-out RBI single off Brandon Cuniff in the seventh after the Braves scored three times in the top half to take a 3-2 lead. But closer Jeurys Familia failed in the ninth as the NL East leaders finished 3-6 on their penultimate series at Citi Field.
• MIAMI 4, PHILADELPHIA 3 (11): Dee Gordon's RBI double with two outs in the bottom of the 11th inning lifted the Marlins over the Phillies. Justin Bour hit his 19th home run for the Marlins, who stopped a four-game losing streak. Miguel Rojas singled and Ichiro Suzuki walked with two outs in the 11th before Gordon doubled to deep right-center field off Jerome Williams.
• MILWAUKEE 4, CHICAGO 1: Martin Maldonado had two RBI, the first on a sacrifice fly in the seventh and the other on an RBI single in the night, to lead the visiting Brewers over the Cubs. Zach Davies got the win, giving up no runs and two hits in six innings.
Orioles win on Machado's 30th HR
• BALTIMORE 4, WASHINGTON 3: Manny Machado hit a two-run homer off Max Scherzer with two outs in the seventh inning as the visiting Orioles rallied to beat the Nationals. Steve Pearce had a two-run homer and a double for the Orioles. J.J. Hardy led off the seventh with a double against Scherzer. Machado worked the count to 2-2 before lining Scherzer's season-high 122nd and final pitch into the seats in left for his 30th homer.