Villanova's Ryan Livingston was hired Tuesday as Gophers men's director of basketball operations.
The position was recently vacated after Nate Pomeday, who arrived at Minnesota a year ago from Oregon State, was promoted to assistant coach.
Livingston served as the Wildcats' special assistant to the head coach the past three seasons. He had oversight of all video operations including scouting, team breakdowns, and advanced statistics.
"Ryan worked for a program and a coach that I have respected all my life in Jay Wright and Villanova basketball," Gophers coach Richard Pitino said in a statement. "… He brings an outsider's perspective that will help move our program forward in the right direction."
• Minnesota United midfielder Jamie Watson suffered an anterior cruciate ligament tear in his right knee during last Saturday's match against Indy Eleven. Watson, who will need surgery, will miss the rest of the NASL season.
• Sarah Burnham, a Michigan State freshman from Maple Grove, shot a 9-over 151 at Windsong Farm on Monday to earn medalist honors in a U.S. Women's Open sectional qualifying tournament.
"This is the only thing I've ever dreamed about," Burnham said. "I don't care about going pro or anything, I just wanted to play in one U.S. Open." She was the lone qualifier.
• The Minnesota Golf Assocation beat the Minnesota Section of the PGA 26.5-13.5 on Tuesday at Southview County Club in West St. Paul. The MGA got off to a fast start getting all four points from Claudia Pilot and Leigh Klasse who won both their individual matches as well as their four-ball match.
• Sophomore Luca Wieland, who last weekend won the decathlon in the Big Ten meet, was given the Garry Bjorklund Award, presented to the most valuable member of the Gophers men's track and field team. He also won the NCAA indoor heptathlon title.
• The Gophers' Leandro Toledo plays Denis Nguyen of Harvard at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in the first round of the NCAA men's tennis tournament in Waco, Texas. Toledo is a senior from Hamburg, Germany, who has 97 career wins in singles, is 19-8 this spring and is ranked No. 22 nationally. Nguyen is ranked No. 34.