A posting from my colleague Lora Pabst:
After Whistleblower reported Sunday on an Eden Prairie woman who was overcharged for years because of a meter mix-up by Xcel Energy, the head of the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission clarified that customers can appeal directly to the commission for help.
Chair Ellen Anderson said the commission is “aggressive in regulating the utilities under our purview and do the utmost to protect the public interest.” Under state rules, Pearson can only be compensated for three years of overpayments. Xcel Energy said it can’t make exceptions to the rule without the commission’s permission.
Anderson said customers can call the commission’s Consumer Affairs Office at 651-296-0406 or send an e-mail to consumer.puc@state.mn.us